How easy would it be to swap a 4L60e for a 4L80e

Brent W bwiscombe at email.msn.com
Sat Mar 13 18:31:16 GMT 1999

There are many differences between the 4L60E and the 4L80E.

The main electrical connector that interconnects the engine wiring harness
to the transmission is not the same and there are different numbers of wires
used (I don't know what they are all used for).

There are two different PCM's that control the 4L80E. One comes on the
diesel engines and the other for the gas engines. I'm not sure whether there
are differences internally within the transmission for these two
applications that might also need to be considered when looking for a
transmission.

The 4L80E uses a different flywheel and torque converter. I'm not sure
whether the crankshaft end would need to be reworked to mate to the 4L80E.

The transmissions are different lengths which would necessitate a change of
your drive shaft.

I have read of people that have done the swap successfully, so with enough
knowledge, time, and money, you can have a 4L80E which is a much stronger
transmission. And I would guess that it would ultimately be cheaper for you
to swap out to a 4L80E transmission rather than to keep paying for a
transmission rebuild every so often.

Good luck,
Brent Wiscombe
bwiscombe at msn.com