Chassis dynos exposed

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sun Mar 14 01:12:26 GMT 1999

> > Three years?  Clayton has been making water brake chassis dynos for
> >well over THIRTY years.  I own one.
>
> Yes, they have. And a chassis dyno with a brake--water or electric--at
> least IMHO--is the only kind worth having or running a car on!! Electric
> brakes are somewhat more desireable, as they will develop greater braking
> torque at lower speeds.

We built a chassi dyno for motorcycles at the IofI in 1966 for engineering
open house with an 8" roller mounted to a 6-71 gimmy. A PDP-8 counted rpm
from the points on the nut that held it together. We created a vacuum by
pulling thru a long 3" pipe with a ball valve in the middle. Measure rpm and
vacuum, then calc HP.. Just keep closing the valve and watching the  'tube'
digital display. You could pull the motor down from high rpm in any increment
you wanted, until the motor finally gave up (stalled).

10 Hp from a harley, 20 from a 650 triumph, 15 from a 250 honda, 27 from a
hot 305 yamahamahama and 22 from a 110 CC race two stroke twin at 12,750 rpm,
Maybe that's why my hearing is bad...

Tom S