How easy would it be to swap a 4L60e for a 4L80e

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 01:56:43 GMT 1999

 >I just broke the input hub / shaft assembly for the second time on my '95
 >Chevy 1/2 ton truck.  It keeps blowing out the aluminum lugs that retain
 >the snap ring for 3rd gear.   I do have extra ponies under the hood, but I
 >don't see how the extra power would be causing this problem.  (It's 355
 >cubic inches, B&M blower, Air Flow Research Heads, large roller cam, Cola
 >Crank, Ross Racing Pistons, Eagle Rods, etc etc)  The truck only runs in
 >the low 14's, but this tranny breakage is nuts.

Your truck sounds cool.  Is it a back half chassis?
My '91 Syclone has the 700R4 also.  For me, the weak link has been
the front (2/4) band.  I think it's more a case of my not knowing
what the hell I'm doing when I replace it..  The AWD kind of 'traps'
the torque in the trans..  It has a really mean 2nd gear *hit* from
the factory, but with AWD, it doesn't even chirp a tire.. I was also
condsidering at the 4L80, but those things are HUGE..  They prolly
make kits to eliminate computer management of the 4L80, and it
 will most likely fit the CK truck much better than the S-truck.
Did I say how huge they are?  Cores are still big $$ too, so keep
your eyes peeled for a deal..
HTH
Mike V