exhaust system idea

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Mar 14 02:26:05 GMT 1999

>gang,
>
>I occured to me yesterday to ask a basic question about exhaust systems.
>Since it's an advantage to have staged throttle bodies (like in 4 barrel
>carbs) why not do the same for an exhaust?  I imagine such a system could
>have a HUGE pipe between the header and the muffler and then two pipes
>exiting the muffler and going out the back.  However one would have a
>butterfly valve in it and at low RPMs and low engine load it would be
>closed. However at high RPM and/or high load it would open.  This second
>tube could even bypass the muffler to reduce back presure.  OK, what am I
>missing here?  Are the gains too small to be worth it?  This system could
>be quiet most of the time and a screamer when you want/need it to be.
>
>cheers,
>james

Nothing new under the sun is the name of this game--This sort of a set-up
used to be called either a "cut-out" or "lake-pipes" (as in the dry lakes
in the desert in California). Illegal in lots of jurisdictions, but prolly
not a lot of cops any more who would have a clue what was going on OR that
they are illegal!

Regards, Greg