Bosch Fuel Pump

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Sun Mar 14 18:05:45 GMT 1999

OK, got some time to do some testing, not everything that I wanted
to do, but enough to set started. First some numbers, then the setup.
(this is regarding the pump listed below)

No-load amps @ 14.0v: 1.3A (pumping air)
Free flow amps @ 14.0v: 2.8A (pumping mineral spirits, aka paint
thinner)
15 psi head pressure amps @ 14.0v: 3.0A (pumping mineral spirits against
regulator)

Free flow volume: 1 gallon (US) mineral spirits in 1-min 26-sec.,
for a flow of 41.9 gal-per-hr (GPH). Remember, that this is different
than what the flow will be with gasoline.

I was going to do flow testing with gasoline and various input voltages,
but my setup was a little leaky. I was using as GM TBI injector head
for the regulator and spray pattern checking of some injectors. With
the leaks, no way was I going to run gas though the system.

I also wanted to check the flow with the 15psi of head pressure, but
the seals in the TBI head leaked. I'll be doing this once the TBI
is fully assembled with new seals and on the car. This will then
include the flow drop from the lines and fuel filter.

Oh, one more thing. The pump inlet and outlets are 5/16" OD. They
are the type used with the Ford plastic fuel line with 'quick-clip'
connectors.

The outlet being a threaded fitting, steel, I'll be silver soldering
an inverted flair fitting to it. The inlet, I'll just use rubber
hose, as it's going to be at low pressure (neg actually).

The pump runs smooth and quiet, more so than I expected. The mount
has a clam-shell holder that has foam between it and the pump. The
mount also has rubber insulators.

BobR.

Mike Pilkenton wrote:

> I'd be interested in your flow analysis Bob.  I'm desperately looking for an
> in-line fuel pump to use on my 3.1L GM V6 motor.  Nothing high performance
> but with my engine transplant project, I can't use a stock tank pump.  This
> Bosch pump sounds like it might work great.
>
> Mike P.

<snip>