4 cyl big block!

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 14 18:15:33 GMT 1999

At 10:06 AM 3/14/99 -0800, you wrote:

>The old GMC V6 engine family started out as gaspots. Later on they were
>converted to diesel and also V8 to go with the twin six V12. The diesels
>were called "Toroflows" by the General and "terribleflows" by those lucky
>enough to own or work on them. I think Chef Boyardee designed the
>crankshaft for the V8...

I know they were sure built heavy...
My dad had a 63 GMC pickup with the 305 V6 and the 4 speed...  Got 9MPG
loaded, empty, uphill, downhill etc.
He removed the 1bbl carb and put on a staged 2bbl hoping to improve
mileage... no luck.
Had one hell of a lot of torque down low... I remember driving the truck,
and being the lazy kid I was, I hated to shift... took off from a dead stop
in 3rd with minimal clutch slippage...  truck would lurch forward, and go
chug chug chug but get right up to speed.  Could tow almost anything you
wanted to throw at it.  Pistons the size of coffee cans.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.