hp loss

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Sun Mar 14 20:55:14 GMT 1999

Yes.  I have had good luck concocting my own axle lube using Mobil 1 and
MoS2 powder.  The moly prevents metal to metal contact when sliding velocity
is low to zero and the low visc reduces friction at higher speeds.  I
wouldn't try it on an expensive hypoid setup for which I don't have spares
laying around, though.  Too chicken.  75W-90 is as low as I would try for
those.  75W gear oil is not much thicker than normal engine oil.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>