Off Panhard bar

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Sun Mar 14 20:55:15 GMT 1999

Hi Joe, I would like to respond to your comments.

Low roll centers, 2 to 4 inches above the road, are preferred, yes.

The Rover DeDion does create a small amount of scrub.

My comment about the RX-7 offset watts linkage was not to claim it was the
same as the Alfa a-arm but to comment that offset locating devices, while
maybe not optimal from a kinematic standpoint, could still work well.

I don't know what you think I have not thought out.  A 4 link does have
wonderful flexibility for adjusting anti-squat.  Angling two of the links
creates a virtual a-arm (is this the Satchell Link ?) that laterally locates
the rear axle.  This is similar to the Alfa or Lotus but they used a real
a-arm, not a virtual one.

The problem with a Satchell Link is when the car leans in a corner, the
links bind.  On a road car with rubber bushings, it still all works.  On a
race car with solid joints, the 4 links, when viewed from above, must be
parallel to the longitudinal axis of the car.

A road car type 4 link, like GM, uses the links to locate the axle and
resist axle torque.  If rubber bushings are used to smooth the ride, wheel
hop occurs in high powered cars.  That is why it is better to use separate
mechanisms to locate and to resist axle torque.

Of the 6 degrees of freedom, moving along and rotating about the x,y and z
axes, a suspension needs to fully constrain 5.  For good ride, there should
be some longitudinal compliance (the tire moves back when it hits a bump)
all others constraints should be very rigid.  A 4 link cannot provide this
mix of rigid and compliant constraints.  That is fine for a race car but not
so good for a road car.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>