How easy would it be to swap a 4L60e for a 4L80e

Peter D. Hipson mail at darkstar.mv.com
Sun Mar 14 21:48:26 GMT 1999

As best as I can tell... <g>

At 11:05 AM 3/13/99 -0700, you wrote:
>There are many differences between the 4L60E and the 4L80E.
>
>The main electrical connector that interconnects the engine wiring harness
>to the transmission is not the same and there are different numbers of wires
>used (I don't know what they are all used for).

I'd believe that! <g> If someone can tell me what's in the 4L60E, I can
compare with the 4L80E.

>There are two different PCM's that control the 4L80E. One comes on the
>diesel engines and the other for the gas engines.

Yes, and there is a third PCM for turbo diesels, too! Each is (totally)
different and not interchangable. As well, there are two (at least) 4L80E
transmissions, the early and the late models. The TCM/PCM is different for
each, so that makes about five different TCM/PCM combinations!

>I'm not sure whether there
>are differences internally within the transmission for these two
>applications that might also need to be considered when looking for a
>transmission.
>
>The 4L80E uses a different flywheel and torque converter. I'm not sure
>whether the crankshaft end would need to be reworked to mate to the 4L80E.

I believe the flex-plate is compatible, but if nto that is a minor expense
considering the cost of the tranny--for diesels, I can get them for about
$25 (used).

>The transmissions are different lengths which would necessitate a change of
>your drive shaft.

And probably rear mounting bracket, too.

>I have read of people that have done the swap successfully, so with enough
>knowledge, time, and money, you can have a 4L80E which is a much stronger
>transmission. And I would guess that it would ultimately be cheaper for you
>to swap out to a 4L80E transmission rather than to keep paying for a
>transmission rebuild every so often.

I'm sure a swap is a good idea. I'd contact JET and see what they have for
kits--they sell a complete kit, TCM, 4L80E, harness, etc. Might be just the
trick to get you going.

>Good luck,
>Brent Wiscombe
>bwiscombe at msn.com