Frederic Breitwieser/turbo discussion

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Wed Mar 17 14:30:48 GMT 1999

No sarcasm taken, Fred.  In theory, you are entirely correct.  As a
practical matter, though, all V-6's fire bank to bank.  Its just the easiest
way to make one.  Maybe the only possible way.

With a 6 the goal is 120 deg between firing.  With a 60 deg V angle, the
crank needs 60 deg pin offset.  It is not practical to build a 60 deg V-6
with shared journals, the resultant engine would have 60-180 firing.  Way
odd fire.  With a 90 deg V angle, the crank needs a 30 deg pin split.  It is
possible to build a non split crankpin odd fire 90 deg V-6, (Buick and
Maserati) but even fire has much smoother torque.  The Dino Ferrari engine
had a 65 deg V.  I don't know what the crank looked like but I suspect it
had a 55 deg split.  Flat 6 engines use a 180 deg split that cancels the 180
deg bank angle and acts like an in line 6.  Still firing bank to bank.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>