Frederic Breitwieser/turbo discussion

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Thu Mar 18 02:40:54 GMT 1999

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> > Then I thought about a setup something like the original post about the
> > variable exhaust system.  I was thinking about a relatively small turbo
> > driven by one bank, to get the boost rolling, then a pretty large turbo on
> > the other bank that would take over at higher rpm's.  I didn't get into the
> > pro's and con's yet.
>
> I spent a lot of time with several friends of mine trying to achieve
> the best
> bottom end combined with an awesome top end on the Buick V6
> twin-turbo.

Look at the compressor maps, ( someone posted a site a while ago) if you can pick
one with a wide map rather that a tall/narrow one, it will work for a wider rpm
range. most motors over 400 hp work better with twins, size the compressors for
effeciency and change the turbine housings, like changing blower pulleys, until
you get enough boost. waste gates are for small turbines on large engines,
(except that open wastegates in cruse mode help mileage), a crutch for incorrect
sizes.

If you have enough cam for power at 7500 rpm, forget about boost at 2500....  Tom