Injector Math

Barry Gibson bwgibson at fuse.net
Mon Mar 22 15:09:09 GMT 1999

--------------6E9EED6F8E29D91D19A3DEA0

simplest method i can think of to "get in the ballpark" w/ estimating
horsepower is to ask the cam grinder.  it's been my experience that
for "standard" combinations of carb/intake/heads/exhaust they can
often tell you exactly what power to expect -- indeed, a dyno sheet
is frequently available, as they actually test their cam(s) to determine
what works best with what.  some pieces work lots better than do
some others ...  do avail yourself of this expensive and hard-won
knowledge!

as to the bumpstick itself, i'd suggest asking about a "negative overlap"
cam.  the cam grinder you want to do biz with will know what this
is and how to tailor it to your situation.  the minor added expense of
getting a true custom cam will be more than offset by the results.
IIRC, the latest tt porsche awd turbo used a neg overlap cam.

once you are in the ballpark for the n/a condition, calculate the power
in the boosted condition, eg:
  HP == hp * ( (14.7 + 10 ) / 14.7 )
        == hp * ( 1.68 )
yes, this will produce a number that is very much higher than what
will actually obtain (no losses due to intake heating, etc) but you
_want_ a high estimate to avoid any chance of a lean condition.
next, do the bsfc to pounds conversion per your formulas, then
correct for injector duty cycle.

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> Greetings, as most of you know by now, I'm building an
> efi-based mopar stroker engine using a turned down 440 crank
> combined with a .030 over 383 block, for a total
> displacement of 431 cubes.  With the below math, I'm trying
> to caluclate several things.
>
> Approximate HP/Torque to be expected from the motor, both
> N/A as well as boosted (10 lbs of boost max), the
> appropriate injector size for a sequential-based injection
> system, as well as cfm of air required at 5000 RPM naturally
> aspirated as well as with 10lbs of boost.  Yes, I'm having
> fun.  Anyhoo:

<snip>

--------------6E9EED6F8E29D91D19A3DEA0

<HTML>

<P>simplest method i can think of to "get in the ballpark" w/ estimating
<BR>horsepower is to ask the cam grinder.&nbsp; it's been my experience
that
<BR>for "standard" combinations of carb/intake/heads/exhaust they can
<BR>often tell you <U>exactly</U> what power to expect -- indeed, a dyno
sheet
<BR>is frequently available, as they actually test their cam(s) to determine
<BR>what works best with what.&nbsp; some pieces work lots better than
do
<BR>some others ...&nbsp; do avail yourself of this expensive and hard-won
<BR>knowledge!

<P>as to the bumpstick itself, i'd suggest asking about a "negative overlap"
<BR>cam.&nbsp; the cam grinder you want to do biz with will know what this
<BR>is and how to tailor it to your situation.&nbsp; the minor added expense
of
<BR>getting a true custom cam will be more than offset by the results.
<BR>IIRC, the latest tt porsche awd turbo used a neg overlap cam.

<P>once you are in the ballpark for the n/a condition, calculate the power
<BR>in the boosted condition, eg:
<BR>&nbsp; HP == hp * ( (14.7 + 10 ) / 14.7 )
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; == hp * ( 1.68 )
<BR>yes, this will produce a number that is very much higher than what
<BR>will actually obtain (no losses due to intake heating, etc) but you
<BR>_want_ a high estimate to avoid any chance of a lean condition.
<BR>next, do the bsfc to pounds conversion per your formulas, then
<BR>correct for injector duty cycle.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Greetings, as most of you know by now, I'm building
an
<BR>efi-based mopar stroker engine using a turned down 440 crank
<BR>combined with a .030 over 383 block, for a total
<BR>displacement of 431 cubes.&nbsp; With the below math, I'm trying
<BR>to caluclate several things.

<P>Approximate HP/Torque to be expected from the motor, both
<BR>N/A as well as boosted (10 lbs of boost max), the
<BR>appropriate injector size for a sequential-based injection
<BR>system, as well as cfm of air required at 5000 RPM naturally
<BR>aspirated as well as with 10lbs of boost.&nbsp; Yes, I'm having
<BR>fun.&nbsp; Anyhoo:
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&lt;snip></HTML>