Injector Math

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Tue Mar 23 01:19:44 GMT 1999

>Bendix/Siemans has injectors that flow 55 lbs/hr as well as
>62 lbs/hr.  MSD has 50 lb/hrs (2012) that work with stock
>ECMs (high impedence) and fuel rail pressure can be
>increased to compensate I would imagine so there is more
>flow.  Injectors are rated based on certain fuel rail
>pressures, so increasing the rail pressure would increase
>the flow proportionally, within reason.  50 lb/hr injectors
>when I need 56.x lb/hr injectors could be close enough if
>the rail pressure goes up 13%, which I can do easily enough.
>

>How off am I in my math?  Any ideas?

Two thoughts here..........1) fuel delivery is a function of the square of
the fuel pressure differential across the tip of the injector,
and............2) you might want to look into a quality "simulation" program
which will allow you to plug-in your own variables relating to both the base
engine and the intended induction system.  For the money, the most
accurate/useful is the "Dynomation" software.  They do have a URL on the WEB
but I don't have it handy (can be found through a search).  With this
software, you can play to your heart's content (or extent) and dial in you
combination without ever buying a single part.

Walt.