Chip for Northstar

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Mar 31 05:59:56 GMT 1999

Chris Moore wrote:

> Paul,
>
>   That sounds like a great idea.  Now, how do I make a signal generator
> to make the pulses that I need?  Or can I do it a different way?  This
> sounds like the last bit of the puzzle that I need to get this thing
> running great.  I would like to make a signal generator and have a
> switch to it to shut it off and on so I can have traction or not have
> it.  This should be possible.  How am I able to find the pulses per
> mile?  What exactly do I need to get and do?  Thanks

Exactly you need to count how many teeth are on the reluctor ring, and
remember the number.  Then you need to mark a line on your tire, and a
corresponding line on the asphalt.  Roll the car until the tire makes
one complete revolution, then make another corresponding mark on the
asphalt.  Measure this distance to get your tire's (or tires')
"rolling circumference".  Measure in inches for accuracy. : ) Remember
this number.  There are 5,280 feet in a mile, which is 63,360 inches.
Divide 63360 by your rolling circumference which will result in tire
revolutions per mile.  Multiply tire revs/mi and # of teeth on
reluctor ring to get speed sensor pulses per mile.  Exactly.
Shannen