Fuel injection plugs

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sat May 1 02:21:10 GMT 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:59:02 -0600 bearbvd at sni.net (Greg Hermann) writes:
>>I like that idea.  A variable displacement hydraulic pump at the engine
>>and four variable displacement pumps (one at each wheel), along with an
>>accumulater would allow you to size the engine for the maximum
sustained
>>load (say 100 MPH up a 7% slope fully loaded).  Size the accumulater so
>>that it can store enough energy to accelerate the vehicle's mass from 0
>>to 100 MPH.
>>

>This is called a "hydrostatic drive" . A common implementation of it is
on
>the large snow cats which ski areas use as groomers for their slopes. I
>think the big problem with it is that the drive's efficiency is low
enough
>that any gains in engine efficiency are negated.

I certainly can't claim to have invented the idea :)  Actually, my dad
has a hydrostatic drive on his Bolens lawn tractor.

I actually got the idea from an old article in the Mother Earth News (mid
70s).  Some college students took a bradley GT (homebuilt) body and
outfitted it with a Brigs & Stratton engine and a system similar to what
I just described.  They were going for mileage more than drivability and
power ('70s, remember?).  Well, the thing actually got about 70 MPG and
did 0-60 in eight seconds.  Not too shabby for an econobox.  It had a top
speed of 70 because of the small engine.

I understand that your standard off-road (or lawn tractor) hydrostat
drive has an efficiency of around 50%.  I suspect that there are
hydraulic pumps and motors available that are more efficient, but I could
be wrong...

Ray Drouillard