Fuel injection plugs

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Sat May 1 06:12:13 GMT 1999

Pat:
    You wrote:
>I'm with you up to here. why a stepped automatic? <

    The reason for the stepped transmission is to increase gear range
beyond what the belt drive can provide.... you'd probably have to use
an axle ratio of 1x (not available as far as I know) to get high
enough gearing to load an engine down under virtually any conditions

You also wrote:

>aren't bobcats hydrostatic<

The early ones many of which are still in existance were not
hydrostatic and used a clutch and brake system like a Caterpillar with
a hydraulicly operated variable belt setup for speed range control.
The numbers such as 500, 510, 600, 610, and a number of others used
this system.  I converted one of these from a 2 cylinder Kohler engine
(16 hp) to a Subaru EA71 a number of years ago...... what a
powerhouse!

You also commented about noise in the FE engine with .035 lash..... it
wasn't any louder than most solid lifter engines, and was in a 2 ton
cab over truck so lifter noise wasn't noticed...... supprisingly some
of the Ford factory specs for lifter adjustment on some of the stock
FE engines with solid lifters which were high performance engines in
the early & mid 60's were at or very close to this gap.  You will find
this on some of the 390, 406, and 427 engines I believe..... Three
duces, solid lifter cam, and 400+ hp.  Those were real engines!!
H.W.