Fuel injection plugs

James Ballenger jballeng at vt.edu
Sat May 1 10:13:01 GMT 1999

Raymond C Drouillard wrote:

> I don't argue with the above.  What I am saying is that if you run it at
> max VE without throttling it, you will generate MUCH more power than you
> need.  If you throttle it, you will not have a good VE.  Throttling works
> by lowering VE.

I agree.  But do you have to throttle?

> Agreed.  There is no throttling with a properly used CVT.  You reduce
> power by LOWERING THE RPM of the entine to the point where it is
> producing the desired power.
>
> The engine is constantly at WOT, and the power output is controlled by
> controling the engine speed.

Um I don't agree with this, with a perfect cvt the change in applied power
would be due to gearing changes.

> I am comparing a throttled engine at the speed of max VE with an
> unthrottled engine that has been slowed down enough to reduce the power
> to the desired level.  Based on that, my statement is correct.

Your absolutely correct.  Our disagreement seems to be in the function of the
cvt itself.

> IF YOU RUN AN ENGINE AT MAXIMUM VE WITHOUT THROTTLING IT, YOU WILL GET MORE
> POWER THAN YOU NEED, AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO WITH THE TRANSMISSION (besides
> wasting the power through friction) WILL REDUCE THE POWER LEVEL.

> If you are cruising at a speed that requires 25 HP to maintain, and your
> engine is capable of putting out 200 HP, you have to either throttle it
> or run it at a speed where it only generates 25 HP.  You CAN NOT run it
> at its peak VE point or its peak power point and only generate 25 HP
> unless you throttle it.

> There, I said the same thing in several different ways.  Hopefully, the
> concepts won't be misunderstood.  Please read it carefully before writing
> a rebuttal.

    I have read it carefully and try to do so with all the messages I reply
to.  I enjoy learning the theory involved here.   Which is what I am trying
to do, learn.  There are few perfect students and I, unfortunately, do
misunderstand concepts.  If you feel it is a chore to respond to my comments,
you don't have too as much as I do enjoy the conversation.
    When we are in first gear of a typical car today, we have a high
(numerically) gear ratio which increases the effective torque at the driving
wheels to get the car going, right?  Why isnt the reverse true?  With a
perfect cvt, there is not limitation on the gearing so we can reduce the
engine torque through very low (numerically) gearing, is there a reason this
is not feasible with a perfect cvt?  By these means we could also control the
load on the engine...

James Ballenger