Fuel injection plugs

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat May 1 13:28:56 GMT 1999

>You also commented about noise in the FE engine with .035 lash..... it
>wasn't any louder than most solid lifter engines, and was in a 2 ton
>cab over truck so lifter noise wasn't noticed...... supprisingly some
>of the Ford factory specs for lifter adjustment on some of the stock
>FE engines with solid lifters which were high performance engines in
>the early & mid 60's were at or very close to this gap.  You will find
>this on some of the 390, 406, and 427 engines I believe..... Three
>duces, solid lifter cam, and 400+ hp.  Those were real engines!!
>H.W.

The 421 Poncho and the 413 Max Wedge III each had it all over the 390/406 FE's!

Whether your expert ear heard it or not, the take up ramps on solid lifter
cams vs. hydraulic lifter cams are entirely different! The initial ramp on
a hydraulic cam is quite quick, so as to set the check valve in the lifter
closed. The initial ramp on a solid lifter cam is much gentler, so as to
take up the lash with minimal impact on various valve train parts.

If you run a solid cam with hydraulic lifters, the timing and lift will be
inconsistent--generally less duration and lift at higher engine speeds,
which is about the opposite of what you want.

If you run a hydraulic cam with solid lifters, you subject your entire
valve train to a lot of unnecessary impact--Which is OK I guess, if you
have no respect for your engine, an infinite supply of money, or do not rev
the engine to the potential of the cam you are running.

But--I am sure that you knew that, and just hadn't told us yet!

BTW--please start snipping the messages you reply to--not only does it take
a lot of bandwidth when you do not do this, it takes forever do do it for
you when replying!

Regards, Greg