Fuel injection plugs

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Sat May 1 16:57:11 GMT 1999

<snip>

>> Agreed.  There is no throttling with a properly used CVT.  You reduce
>> power by LOWERING THE RPM of the entine to the point where it is
>> producing the desired power.
>>
>> The engine is constantly at WOT, and the power output is controlled by
>> controling the engine speed.
>
>Um I don't agree with this, with a perfect cvt the change in applied
power
>would be due to gearing changes.

CHANGING THE GEARING CHANGES THE ENGINE SPEED!  THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT!

>> I am comparing a throttled engine at the speed of max VE with an
>> unthrottled engine that has been slowed down enough to reduce the
power
>> to the desired level.  Based on that, my statement is correct.
>
>Your absolutely correct.  Our disagreement seems to be in the function
of the
>cvt itself.

A CVT doesn't change the power (besides the ordinary efficiency losses).
If you attempt to reduce the torque to the drive wheels by changing the
gear ratio, you will either slow down the engine or speed up the vehicle.

An unthrottled engine running at a specific speed (max torque, for
example) is going to put out a specific amount of power.  If this is more
power than is required to maintain the desired cruise speed, the vehicle
will speed up.

If you want to prevent this without throttling - that is, if you want to
maintain the same cruise speed without throttling, you will need to
change the gear ratio.  Assuming that you don't speed up, the engine will
HAVE to slow down.

<more snip>

Ray Drouillard