Cam regrinds feasible? (roller regrind)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun May 2 03:39:07 GMT 1999

>You can do some regrinding to rollers, I did, but it was almost not worth
>it. The problem that I was told is that if you do too much you need to have
>it re-heatreated, and then it typically gets out of wack in terms of
>straightness or  so he said. They can take some off and change the profile
>a bit, but you need to check with a grinder that can do it to see how much
>and actually what it will cost. In the long run, more problems then it's
>worth, just get the grind you want and save the exercise.
>
>Sandy

Yep--Roller cams are generally made out of 8620 steel--a gear steel, like
is used for ring and pinion gears. These cams are case hardened, using
copper plating to mask the parts of their surface (everything but the
lobes)  which do not get the high carbon case (plate the whole thing, then
grind the copper off of the lobes). I think the carburized case is only
.030 to .050" thick, and you really need most of it for the lobes to live.
Re heat-treating such a cam is not at all simple to do properly--you would
have to rough grind to new profile, re plate, grind plating off of lobes,
recarburize, and then finish grind.  (If you want it right.) Pretty likely
to be every bit as expensive as a new one.

Just get one, new, the way you want.

Regards, Greg