Flame - Not (Tornado engine?)

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Sun May 2 15:25:30 GMT 1999

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Aaron Willis wrote:

> At 10:37 PM 5/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >
> >There was also the not-so modern SOHC hemi Tornado. Quite the motor in its
> >IKA (Argentinian) twelve port headed, triple DCEO Webered trim! (310 HP
> >from 230 cid at only 5200 rpm!
> >
> 	Hey, cool, I've seen one but know nothing about them.  What did they come
> in?  The one I saw was a Jeep military truck, and did NOT have three DCOE
> Webers!!  What would be packing the hot version?

Jeep used the Continental 6-226 for years. A typical long stroke flathead
engine. Jeep even called some models the 6-226. As an elcheapo way of
modernizing this ancient engine, they came up with the OHC head. The long,
spindly 6-226 connecting rods loved the higher RPM that came with the new
head...NOT.

Most of these engines [that I saw] were on auto wrecker core piles. The
head always looked OK which is more than you could say about the sides of
the block.

Oh, yeah. Continental has an interesting policy on parts prices.