Fuel injection plugs

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Sun May 2 15:55:18 GMT 1999

Greg:
    I've personally seen irrigation pump motors run on propane over
10K hrs.  This is a considerably different environment than a farm
truck.
    As for Holley carbs, it is unfortunate that pot metal has very low
salvage value.  I'll just have to take your word for it on the
potential of these carbs.... I've never seen it.   When you do get one
of these working halfway decently, they have a very short life
expectancy between overhauls.  I've over the years replaced every
Holly carb I ever owned with the good old style Autolight / Motorcraft
carbs that actually can be made to work correctly and efficiently
throughout their operating range.  It is unfortunate that the Holly,
Motorcraft, and Autolight carb familys used neoprene diaphragms in
accelerator pumps and in power valves.... they don't like today's gas
at all.
    Personally I feel that of the 4 bbl carbs available, the plain old
Quadrajet would have had the most potential of any of them if they had
only made replaceable secondary orfices.... once these are worn
there's nothing to be done.  I've built a puller and removed them, and
I suppose you could manufacture a replacement, but......   Now we've
got EFI.
    I take nearly all horsepower claims with more than a grain of
salt...... I also must confess to be a grave doubter of bscf numbers.
What I've often run into in the aviation field are people who state
the max horsepower, and then state a fuel consumption figure which is
obviously taken at 20% or 30% throttle in such a way as to imply that
their engine for example puts out 100 hp on 2 gpm when in truth their
100hp engine will not put out a sustained 100hp, nor will it do it on
the absurd figure of 2gpm.  The engine is in fact putting out about 24
hp when the fuel consumption is measured.  I suspect that this
nonsense is not confined only to aviation.  All bscf figures which
exceed .5 by very much automatically fall under suspicion here
:-)..... No offense intended.          H.W.