Cam regrinds feasible? (roller regrind)

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Sun May 2 15:55:27 GMT 1999

Jack:
    I have long suspected that many cams have considerable error in
the alignment of lobe centers.
    I once was asked to change out the third Subaru (EA 81) engine for
a fellow who had installed 2 rebuilt engines only to have to return
them to the rebuilder due to rattling.  This was a major Seattle area
rebuilder.  When I looked at the engine pior to removal to determine
exactly what was happening, I discovered that it was valve noise, but
that it couldn't be adjusted out of it.  This seemed odd to me, so I
took measurements with feeler guages while turning the engine over a
little at a time, an discovered a low spot right at the base of the
ramp which when proper adjustment was made opposite the lobe yielded a
measurement of about .025.
    Human error seem to be inescapable.  Unfortunately with camshafts
it is very difficult to verify that they are what they are supposed to
be.     H.W.