machine shop suggestion needed for drilling side draft intake

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sun May 2 18:51:02 GMT 1999

> I have a cast iron intake for a inline 4 cyl that I would like to have
> drilled for injectors.

I just did this on my aluminum intake, and the concepts are the same.

http://www.xephic.dynip.com/dodge/383intake.htm

> it is a challenge to make this work and if I had a manifold to practice on
> I'd do it myself but I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing
> handle it.

Since mine was aluminum, it was easier than cast iron to bore using "stubby"
drill bits in my drill press.  The injector bungs were made out of aluminum
tubing, lathed to fit the contour of the injectors, then TIG welded in.
Normally I use the www.durafix.com product, however I had an opportunity to
learn how to TIG recently, then use my friend's welder to achieve this.

However, if you can drill the holes yourself, or pay someone to drill them, you
can still braze in the injector bungs yourself.  The durafix site if you call
them used to have steel brazing rods that work on the same principle, however I
didn't see them on the website.  Anyway, using a propane torch, you can braze
in steel injector bungs and make a nice seal.  JB Weld will achieve the same
thing.  Another option my friend came up with is to thread the injector bungs,
thread the milled holes in the intake, and wrap teflon tape (or use locktite)
around the threads and screw them in.

I hope that helped.

---

Frederic Breitwieser