Crank position sensor relocation query.

Chris Wilson chris at maximum-bhp.u-net.com
Sun May 2 20:19:23 GMT 1999

I am running a Honda Mugen Formula 3 single seater race engine,in a
chassis that is much later than the power unit.I have an interference
problem,with the exotically materialed and manufactured primary pipes
fouling an adaptor on the back of the exhaust cam,that acts as a
crank position sensor.The management system is Mugens own,and this
adaptor is a coil,with a ferrite core.Across the end of the core
rotates a drum,with an iron segment moulded into it.The whole
assembly is mounted in a die cast casing,that bolts to the back of
the exhaust cam housing.The primaries foul this casing,quite
severely.I either remake the primaries,which are in titanium,and a
work of art,or I move the crank position sensor.The inlet cam has the
distributor,with a toothed wheel sender also within it,to give RPM
readings,bolted to the back of the cam housing,opposite the position
sender.Where does the team suggest I could get a crank position
signal from? Any neat ideas?

Thanks.

--
               Best Regards,