Fuel injection plugs

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun May 2 23:47:39 GMT 1999

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

> Greg:
>     I've personally seen irrigation pump motors run on propane over
> 10K hrs.  This is a considerably different environment than a farm
> truck.
>  It is unfortunate that the Holly,
> Motorcraft, and Autolight carb familys used neoprene diaphragms in
> accelerator pumps and in power valves.... they don't like today's gas
> at all.
There's a simple modification for Holley carbs that prevents power
valve damage due to backfire, and the pump diaphragms can be replaced
without complete o'haul.

>     Personally I feel that of the 4 bbl carbs available, the plain old
> Quadrajet would have had the most potential of any of them if they had
> only made replaceable secondary orfices.... once these are worn
> there's nothing to be done.

Around 1985 a company called "The Carburetor Shop" offered a kit
designed to replace the secondary metering jets.  Generally I see worn
rods, not jets.  Most common seems to be a "ring" worn around the rod
caused by the rods "rattling" in the stainless plates that make up the
jets.

> I've built a puller and removed them, and
Puller?  I have a drill bit that I've ground to cut the aluminum carb
away from the jet, then a small pick easily pulls the exposed jet.

> I suppose you could manufacture a replacement,

I pull the replacement jet from an unused Q jet.  I buy the carbs
cheap and strip them for parts.
Shannen