High economy, was Fuel injection plugs

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon May 3 02:26:29 GMT 1999

-> Van Dorne has built a CVT for the Williams F1 car that could handle
-> 700 hp.

 Probably the same CVT.

 70hp for 100,000 miles in a Subaru, or 700hp for 100 miles in a
Williams.

 Van Doorne has used several belt-type systems over the years, but they
all have sharp limits as to the amount of torque they can handle before
the wear rate goes through the roof.

 Lear pumped a lot of money into 'traction drive' (torus and roller)
variants during the 1960s, and even got a few of them installed in buses
for testing.  They did well, but in order to keep wear under control the
elements became huge - the reason they tested them in buses was because
they wouldn't *fit* in cars.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?