Espen's Reed Valves

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon May 3 03:50:50 GMT 1999

-> cam to get variable duration and the reed valves would take care of
-> the blowback problem at the low end......    At least a first thought

 Alfa Romeo built some engines like that 20 years ago.  There were also
some stationary engines using reed valves at the beginning of the
century.

 The Alfa setup let them run a long duration cam without confusing the
carburetor with reversion pulses or contaminating one cylinder's intake
charge with another's exhaust coming through on overlap.  It looked like
a fine idea to me, and I have no idea why they dropped it.