Espen's Reed Valves

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Mon May 3 22:41:15 GMT 1999

At 05:15 PM 5/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Remember how expensive internal engine parts are.   If the reeds brake they
>can raise hell inside an engine.
>  They are good for just a very limited range, before they "peg" open....
>To get enough reed area for a "big" engine to breath thru would be a huge
>reed cage.
>Bruce

	I see your point.  Does anyone have access top a reed cage from, say, a
500cc motocrosser?  That should flow enough air for the 60+ horsepower it
produces.  Is it too big to fit nicely into a typical intake port?  Say an
eight-cylinder engine, so eight times 60 = 480 horse capacity.  It seems
too simple to me, maybe somebody can help me out here?
	I understand that flow through a two-stroke engine cannot be compared
directly to that of a four-stroke, but am too lazy to do the figuring and
figured I'd offer this to the group as fodder...

	Aaron Willis
	ICQ #27386985
	AOL IM: hemiyota
	http://surf.to/garage-te51 Garage TE51 International