305 TPI and 808 ECM

Jackson, Trevor trevor.jackson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Tue May 4 07:05:45 GMT 1999

I'm currently trying to help a friend get a 305 TPI engine running, but
without much success so far. I believe that the engine is from an 87 or 88
Camero auto (bought from a wrecked car), the wiring loom is from a manual
Camero, and the ECM we have is from the Australian Holden Commodore (which
from what I've read from the archives is the 1227808).

I understand that the '808 ecm is more or less equivalent to the '165 ecm,
and so we should be able to use it OK. The problem we have is with the
Memcals. We have the Memcal that came with the ecm, which is a ASBX 9285
from the 307 engine that is used in the Commodores, and a Memcal from (we
think) a 89 Camero with a 305 TPI (EPROM AGYM 3493).

As yet we have been able to get the engine running using the 89 Camero
Memcal, but it does run (not very well though) using the Memcal from the
Commodore.

We think that the Memcal from the 89 Camero is not working because we do not
have a VATS signal to send to the ecm - I plan to build the circuit to
emulate that so that we can see if that is the problem. If this is the
problem, is the program/data from the AGYM 3493 EPROM suitable for this
engine, or do I need to get hold of a different EPROM image and program up
another EPROM?

BTW, can anyone tell me what is the correct EPROM image for an 87/88 305 TPI
engine?

I've only just discovered these mailing lists and am slowly making my way
through the archives. There is a mountain of info there - I just need to
find the relevant pieces.

regards

Trevor Jackson