Reverse Cooling?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue May 4 14:26:54 GMT 1999

Matt S Bower wrote:

> GM went to it earlier than the LT1.  If you look at late 80's IROC's
> TA's and vettes they should all be reverse flowed.
Nope.  Not reverse flow.  Only rev. flow V8s were LT1 and LT4
engines.  Waterpump rotation was reverse of Vee belt models, but
coolant flow was in block, out manifold like previous years.

> The reason as I can
> recall was something to do with trying to control the head temps for
> emmisions.

Reduces head temps allowing higher compression without detonation.
Same effect can be achieved with ceramic coatings.

>They were able to get around the need with the LS1 engine
> and went back to the standard flow which I believe keeps the whole
> system at a more uniform temp.  Bottom line still is that the gains
> weren't high enough for anyone else to fool with it.
>
> Thomas Martin wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone retorfitted an older V8 (non LT1) with reverse cooling?
> >
> > Is there any drawbacks to reverse cooling vs conventional?  It is worth the
> > mechanical rework to do?
> >
> > I am curious to see why GM did it on the LT1, and from what I have gathered, dropped
> > it on the LS1.  Knowing GM, there MUST have been a good reason.

Who really knows GM?
Shannen