Direct Injection - Stratified

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Tue May 4 16:13:44 GMT 1999

Bingo!  Cost is fundamental to the efficient allocation of resources.  Sure
a highly efficient engine can be built but if the overall cost of doing so
is too high, the overall efficiency of that system will also be low.  I am a
great believer in Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand".  Market systems do not
always allocate resources in the most efficient manner but overall its
better than any other alternative.

That and the NOx problem.

The really large engines that Jim Zurlo mentioned would have a really bad
detonation problem without stratified charge.  Detonation is a fundamental
limit to the efficiency of a spark ignition engine.  Diesels rule in large
engines.  If there is a lot of natural gas around, large engines can be
built to use it if they have diesel like characteristics.  Ergo the
prechamber and stratified charge.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>