OT max economy, engine stress

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Tue May 4 16:51:40 GMT 1999

Oil pressure is only needed to get oil TO the bearing.  Typically 10 psi per
1000 rpm is necessary.  Engines with large diameter mains need more pressure
to fight the centrifugal force.  Once the oil is in the bearing, the load is
WAY more than oil pressure.  Properly designed crankshafts introduce oil to
the part of the bearing with the lowest loads.  If the crank is through
drilled and oil fed from the end, 5 to 10 psi is enough for any rpm.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>