atomization enhancement

Matt S Bower m.s.bower at cummins.com
Wed May 5 13:07:50 GMT 1999

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

> Fredrik:
>     Please tell me which common rail diesels use this kind of pressure
> so I can be sure to avoid them ;-)......... The only common rail
> diesels I am familiar with are the Cummins PT and the Detroit
> engines.... They use nowhere near this kind of pressure.  I strongly
> doubt that the Ford Powerstroke uses much rail pressure either.
> H.W.

I don't know about the PT, before I came to the motor works but most all
of Cummins lines today don't whether rail or distribution pump won't
open an injector until between 300 and 350 bar and the pressure still
goes up from there.  On the current dodge truck cummins deisel the
injectors are pressure opened at that 300 or 350 bar and those fuel
lines are about 1/4" od with a max id of 1.8mm.  Have never heard of
lines breaking but have heard we one early batch that had bad crimps on
the flange that craked the flange.  The ones like this that I saw were
not putting out unruly sprays, just trickled out a nice sized puddle.  I
don't have the numbers about getting up the 1400 bar but I would say
especially with the caps pump on the isc engine that that kind of
pressure is probably right in line.