atomization enhancement

James Montebello jamesm at talarian.com
Thu May 6 17:17:59 GMT 1999

> First: I live in europe and we don't use the unlogical imperial
> measurements and I have double checked these figures and it
> says bar not psi. Second: I have the "Bosch Automotive Handbook"
> in my hand right now and it says that Bosch common rail uses
> pressures of up to 1600 bar in their common-rail systems.
[...]
> This is not bad information, and just because Cummins don't
> have a way to achieve these pressures don't mean that others
> don't...please, we live in 1999 now and technology are still
> getting better.

It's simply that pressures that high are difficult to believe
just from a basic materials standpoint.  2000 bar is approaching
the tensile strength of aluminum.  To put such incredibly high
pressures through any mass-produced part, even now in 1999, is
pretty remarkable, and I can't imagine it's cheap to do so.

I'd love to know *why* Bosch feels such pressures are necessary.
There must be a very good reason to justify the production costs.

james montebello