absurd pressures figures was: atomization enhancement

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Fri May 7 03:55:50 GMT 1999

Fredrik:
    I don't find it hard to believe that the magazines and Bosch book
all quote the same figures.... where do you think the figures came
from?  I've encountered erroneous figures in the past which were
echoed throughout several publications.... not an uncommon thing.  I
do however find it highly improbable that a fuel injection system
could have a pressure range of 1600bar with a breaking pressure of a
small fraction of that number..... I have yet to see any injector
breaking pressures listed which suggest line pressures of this
magnitude.  That such pressures could be associated with a common rail
system is simply beyond belief.......
    I'm a stubborn sort of guy I guess, but if it makes no sense to me
I must assume it to be false unless I have some verification that I
consider satisfactory.  Too many falsehoods have been repeated over
and over again until they are believed.  When I see an injector which
as a breaking pressure of 1600 bar, I will have no difficulty in
believing that the system produces that pressure.  ;-)          H.W.

I have a hard time believing that all the magazines "and" the Bosch
handbook all have the wrong numbers. And the Bosch handbook says
pressures between 350 and 1600 bar and I have a hard time believing
you
can make a typo like that. It's also hard to believe that 3-4
different
independet automotive magazines would make the same typos.
Even a harvester machine use up to 200 bar in the hydraulics system in
steel braided rubber hoses so I don't see why these figures would be
so
hard to achieve in steel lines.

Just my opinion....

--------
Student at the Department of Computing Science Umeå University

Fredrik Skog     E-mail:   c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Taffelstråket 51        WWW:      http://www.acc.umu.se/~skog
903 53 Umeå                         Phone:    +46-(0)90-136365
            Mobile:   +46-(0)70-3041729

Living and dying laughing and crying
Once you have seen it you will never be the same
Life in the fast lane is just how it seems
Hard and it is heavy dirty and mean
/MetallicA