Altering Ignition Timing via CAS signal manipulation

WILMAN wilman at hkabc.net
Sat May 8 00:46:00 GMT 1999

----------
> From: David A. Cooley <n5xmt at bellsouth.net>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Altering Ignition Timing via CAS signal manipulation
> Date: Saturday, May 08, 1999 7:32 AM
>
> At 03:32 PM 5/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >Well, the title should explain what I'd like to accomplish.  I would
> >like to manipulate the electrical signal coming off of my crankshaft
> >angle sensor to affect a change in my ignition timing from what the ECU
> >would normally have it offer.
> >
> >My 98 Subaru Legacy 2.2 Liter has a magnetic crank angle sensor.  This
> >is called a Hall Effect Sensor, right?  Anyway, it reads one or more
> >rotating protrusions of metal on the crank shaft pulley.
> >
> >I am assuming that all four spark plugs fire each time a given cylinder
> >charge ignites.  So I am assuming that if I delay the signal by, for
> >example, 99 percent of the time between pulses that I would be
> >effectively advancing timing by 3.6 degrees since it would be firing .99
> >x 360 degrees late.  Right?
> >

> Umm.. no.. If it uses DIS and has 2 coils, one plug fires for the
> compression stroke while it's paired cyl (on the same coil) fires on
exhaust.
> If it has a seperate coil for each cyl, then it fires each individually,
> same as if it had a distributor.
>
> >If so, how can I build such a device and make it adjustable.
>
> What would you want this for anyway?  to adjust the spark, modify the
code
> in the chip.
>            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
>      Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA   T.A.P.R. Member #7068
>    Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they
didn't?!

Gary,

The Subaru's in our market do not have removable Eproms in their ECU's. So
editing the code in the chip may be a bit difficult.
However, there is an item from Superchips that can adjust ignition timing
electronically after 6 wires have been hooked up.
The adjustment is rev dependent but not load dependent. So, there are
limitations.
The thing is called Iconrace and you can read more about it on
http://www.superchips.co.uk.