Hessitation in Late Model Subarus

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Sat May 8 23:19:22 GMT 1999

-> OK, just for giggles, how do you tell a bad A/C compressor bearing
-> that radiates a frequency of 25 Hz,  from a knock "noise" of 25 Hz?.
-> (Feel, free to change to any freg of noise)

 Amplitude.

 Even my wife can recognize it when the engine pings.  Real detonation
can be recognized by drivers in nearby cars.

 You have to decide what you're looking for here.  If you're trying to
listen through all the rumble to find erratic igntion events so you can
fiddle with the advance or mixture, you're trying to do something even
most OEMs don't try to do.  If all you want is to know when the engine
is in danger of damage, almost anything will do - I have a Carter EKE
box (add on knock eliminator, sold for $75 back in the '80s) that works
just fine, and it's just a handful of discrete analog components.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?