absurd pressures figures was: atomization enhancement

Matt S Bower m.s.bower at cummins.com
Mon May 10 13:28:16 GMT 1999

Jennifer and Brock Fraser wrote:

> The Cummins ISB and ISC engines (at least most of their applications) use
> Bosch VP44 pumps, which is basically a warmed over version of the good ole
> rotary pump, but will full electronic authority over timing and delivery.
> They are headed for common rail.  You have to understand that emissions regs
> drive these changes, and Tier 2 isn't being phased in for "off-road" until
> 2002 for the most popular of rated power ranges.  VP44's still use poppet
> valves, and are NOT particularly high pressure systems (1000-1100 BAR),
> although they do a better job than something like a Stanadyne or Lucas
> rotary pump.  Stanadyne or Lucas rotary pumps, as I mentioned before, are
> only good for about 600-700 BAR.  We fondly call these "drip pumps" or even
> "gravity injection".  Possibly this will help illustrate the frame of
> reference.
>
> -Brock

The ISC is Cummins CAPS fuel system. As well as the ISD or ISL (same
engine) Which is the bored and stroked ISC, same block etc.  Diffenece
only in that the fuel control is done by injectors on the pump with an
extra effect of using injector plungers to increase fuel pressure for
low rpm.  Very much different from the VP44 but uses the same principals
of operation.

Good Post!