730 on a 406 small block

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon May 10 14:27:24 GMT 1999

Well, there's a basic problem here:
Firing four P+H injectors.
The only gm ecm that does that is the 1227749.
You can do the Series Parralel (?)  injector wiring but injector low speed
response is lacking, ie less than (from memory) 2.0 msec. (to run a 730)
A 749 will see a 730 memcal, thou no TCC (not that it matters here), I've
run an astrovan v-8 conversion with a 749/730, but never did finish the cal
or indepth testing.   This uses non "standard" pinouts to work, and really
is getting deep for a heavy duty drivetrain, like ya got.
It might just be easier referring to M Pitts postings about the injector
drivers he used and go that route, with an external driver board for
whatever ecm you use.
While the 730 is no doubt a nice box, the firing strategy is for Batch.
The 747 is for TBI, also, much easier to work with table wise.
The 747 doesn't have IAT compensation, but for your combo you'll probably be
shutting alot of stuff off anyway.  Also, no radiator fan control.
I'm at a total loss about how a tunnel ram will work.  That might be a huge
source of signal dampening for the MAP, and can be any of two ways, fine,
or, too self dampening.
   You might want to go thru the archives some, and read some about fuel
pressure regulators, and what I did with two, ref TBIs.
Grumpy

> >Weight of car?, Auto/Manual tranny?, Final Drive Gearing?.
> >Your running two. of the 4-barrel units?.
> >Or two 2 barrel units.
> >You want to start with the TBI, and then go port??.
> 3250 lbs aprox with driver, turbo400 trans with 2500-3000 stall converter.
> 3.73 gears. dual 670cfm 2 barrel holley projections with 80 pound
injectors.
> I already have all the TBI stuff (and it looks good on the tunnel ram
too),
> but later I plan to weld up a new plenum top for the tunnel ram and go
port.