Hessitation in Late Model Subarus

GARY hobiegary at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 17:52:28 GMT 1999

Thank you everyone for all your input on Knock Sensor and associated
engine hesitation problems.  I am still fiddling around with mine and
have taken on a partner, via email, with the same problem with and
interest in Subarus.

I am digesting all of what has been suggested and am doing a small
amount of experimentation.

My partner found a web site that has a guy named Mike Chaney who is a GM
knock sensor hacker.  I have emailed him and invited him to join this
group.  He has a formula for desensitizing the knock sensor, and his web
site offers a real cool little program that tells you what resistor
values to use for any given resistance of knock sensor according to what
percentage of dampening you wish for.

He adds a resistor in series with the KS and parallels the KS with new
resistor, with another resistor to maintain a circuit resistance
equivalent to stock.

His instructions show that for a ten percent decrease in signal
strength, you ad a resistor in series with your KS of a value that is 10
percent of the resistance of the knock sensor.  What do you think of
that?

here is his website url:
http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/f-tech.htm

While I like the idea of the two resistors, one for dampening generated
signal and one for maintaining overall circuit original resistance, I
question how he came up with his formula for the percentage of
dampening.  I have emailed him and inquired.

As for my wish to manipulate the ignition timing (not knock sensor
related here), I am still searching.  Superchips has been of no help but
looked promising at first!  They report that no IconRace product is
available for my car.  They told me that they should be able to chip it,
but have not seen one.  I think they are wrong as my EPROM type of ECU
resembles what they refer to as "previously unchippable."

Thanks again everyone and I'm all ears once again.

GARY       mailto:hobiegary at earthlink.net