testing injectors

EK sk8er at netmost.com
Wed May 12 03:39:15 GMT 1999

I personally have not tried to test injectors or know what the requirements
are for your specific injectors, but a injector needing 4 amps to drive it
would be a very low impedance injector 12/4=3A, and sustaining that much
power (3A * 12V=36W) in an injector without sufficient cooling may cook it
in a minute. One trick I have used in pneumatic valves ( which may be what
peak and hold injectors use - I am new to the details of injector driving)
is to use a large capacitor charged above the normal operating voltage to
deliver a burst of power to pull the value off the seat initially, and then
reducing the steady state voltage / current so heat and power are minimized.
The steady state current thru the injector required to keep it open may vary
with pressure and temperature, so you may have to play with that if you are
running high or normal operating pressures. You may be able to use a 9V
battery or other small battery in some type of setup like this. If you can
find the simple circuit that does something similar, I would sure use that
instead on the car battery option.

Eric