alternative engines, WARPED

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Wed May 12 12:25:04 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-05-11 15:43:40 EDT, atc347 at c-com.net writes:

>I get 6.1-6.2 mpg on the highway currently and MUST correct this
>situation ASAP or else get even poorer and maybe lose electriciy, water,
>phone etc.. due to the fuel bill overpowering my other bills, I've GOT
>to get to work SOME HOW ya know!
>
>I believe I CAN get over 20 mph with a mild 440 in a 3700 lb car!
>
>What do ya'll think?
>
>Thanks for any positive(real,useable) input!
>
>Sincerely!,

First off, if you are still running a 8 3/4 rear end, get a high ratio center
section ( 2.76 or so) and swap it for dailly driveing.  The 8 3/4 is built
like a 9" Ford, a center section swap can be done in ~ 1 hour or so.

Next, find a 650 or smaller _vacuume_ secondary carb.  Tune it with a two
stage power valve and small jets.  Use this for daliy street driveing.

Third, run a distrubitor with vacuume advance on the street.

Fourth,  keep your foot out of it!

You may not get 20 mpg, but you should at least double your current 6 mpg.

Harold