Transplant

FHPREMACH at aol.com FHPREMACH at aol.com
Thu May 13 00:52:20 GMT 1999

gderian at oh.verio.com writes:

<< That was the Hirth roller cranks for the Porsche 356.

 If there are too many rod journals between the mains, it  difficult to oil
 them.  Ferrari F1 flat 12 engines from the mid 70's had only 5 main bearings
 and used rollers for the rods.

 Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>
 Subject: Re: Transplant >>
I think the common VW ones were actually SPG's. Also, they were only rollers
on the rods, with plain main bearings as I recall. The main advantage as I
recall was that they were availible in stroker lengths without the problems
of early welded strokers. A friend of mine with a bug shop had one and said
it didn't really have any affect on performance. I think Crower still makes a
roller bearing camshaft. Smokey Yunick remarked about that after a lot of
machine work to make a roller bearing cam it netted no horsepower difference
on the dyno. Unless you have a desire to drastically reduce the amount of oil
circulating inside a motor as I recall John Lingenfelter did a few years ago
with a 30psi at max rpm motor, there isn't a lot of reason for to look at
rollers. Motorcycles use them a lot just to reduce the amount of machine work
and remove the oil pumps which become a problem when things get too small. If
you want to see the roller bearing idea taken to an extreme, look up the
Husky four stroke motorcycle motor that used a reed valve to pump air/oil
mist around the motor for a pumpless system. Smart them Swedes!!
Fred