horse power/acceleration

Ord Millar ord at aei.ca
Fri May 14 02:10:06 GMT 1999

Take the acceleration at some point in your curve, call it A, and multiply
by vehicle mass.  This gives the linear force exerted by the rear wheels.
(front wheels?).  F=MA  (it is convinient to measure acceleration here in G,
and mass in lbs).

Torque at the rear wheel is F / (D*2*PI), where D is wheel diameter.  Engine
torque is rear torque / axle ration / transmission ratio + driveline loss.
(keep D in ft for simplicity, loss in ft-lbs)

Engine HP is engine TQ * engine RPM / 5251.  (when TQ is in lbs-ft)

So:  HP = (MA/(D*2*PI)/ratio+loss) * RPM / 5251.

Add in air & rolling resistance, and you're almost there!