alternative engines, WARPED

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri May 14 04:50:49 GMT 1999

Todd....!! wrote:

> I have a 72 Buick 455 in my 72 Jaguar, but the carb that was on it was
> jetted for Cheyenne, Wyoming, I already messed up my first 455 that I
> put in the Jag due to this carbs' pretetonation causing lean
> condition... broke a couple of peices of ring crowns off the top of a
> couple a the pistons.... Damage was already done long before I swapped
> out the carb for a sea level configured rochester...

Well, I don't believe Cheyenne is too much higher than Hardin, MT.
Before I left Hardin, I swapped the primary jets for jets that were 2
sizes larger.  Once I arrived here (900 ft above sea level) I had to
retard the timing slightly.  The car is slightly rich now, but I don't
use it much so I haven't finished the tuning. This is a 455 buick,
3.08 rear gear, 18mpg on the highway.
Shannen