Yet another O2 sensor fakeout trick

Don Holtz daholtz at axionet.com
Sat May 15 19:00:30 GMT 1999

Even the voltage drop across a diode is a function of current:

i=Io * EXP (-v/Vo)

It is true that for forward currents around the designed operating level,
most diodes have a voltage drop about .7volts, but this is only a very very
crude first approximation.  But for a very small forward currents the diode
will have a very small voltage drop, certainly much less than .7volts.

I suspect that, since the O2 sensor is a high-impedance voltage source,
putting a diode in series with it will not cause a nice predictable voltage
drop.

If you want to test your idea you could try this instead, and use a more
refined technique once it all works:

Use a 1.5V AA battery, and a high impedance voltage divider:

                           ------------------------------> TO ECM.

                  100kohm  |     100kohm
    ---------o---/\/\/\/\--o---/\/\/\/\--o
    |        |                           |
    |        |            |              |
--------     |            | |            |
|      |     -------------| |-------------
|  O2  |                + | | -
|      |                  |

  GND

The 1.5V battery and 100kOhm divider combination create a floating .75volt
voltage drop.  The polarity of the voltage drop can be changed by reversing
the battery connection.  The voltage drop that is created has an impedance
of 50kOhm which is much lower than the O2 sensore impedance (approx
10Mohm), and the 100kohm resistors will not drain the battery too quickly.

Just an idea!

Cheers,
Don