KS Attenuation, or Dampening

GARY hobiegary at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 18:46:14 GMT 1999

> First of all, isn't the KS a piezo sensor?  If so, I think DC resistance
> doen't really matter.

Yes Ord, it is but the ECU freaks out if it notices that the KS circuit
is not present so I assume it is looking for a certain current flow with
an applied voltage.

If you want to attenuate, you could build a divider
> around it - two resistors in series accross the element, leave one wire
> connected to the KS, connect the other to the junction of the resistors.
>
> If it is really damping that you want, instead of just attenuation, then you
> need to build a low pass filter.

I am unclear on the deference between the two.  Attenuation is reducing
the signal's amplitude (desired), dampening is reducing the signal's
magnitude?  What's that?  I don't know what I want!  I want to see of
the ECU will stop retarding my timing every time the piezo reacts to a
non-detonation engine noise.

I don't quite follow your description of how to build the divider
either. Your help is appreciated!

GARY       mailto:hobiegary at earthlink.net