O2 sensor and water

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Mon May 17 02:51:52 GMT 1999

<< Now the turn has come to attach the O2 sensor. The following problems
 occure:
Hi Nils,
       It has been my experience that water will kill the heater in a heated
o2 sensor.....never tried an unheated version.........most water cooled
exhaust manifolds have an area a couple inches long from the flange outwards
where there is no water jacket, this is where I usually install them on port
efi apps.....a tip though...if the cam is lumpy at all it will pull some
water back down on the sensor at idle, killing it.......I have had good luck
with a rpm switch and delay timer to start the heater in the sensor........I
thought someone here was experimenting with the o2 sensor in the intake
manifold exhaust crossover.....did anyone ever try this????
-Carl Summers

 SNIP>
 1. If the O2-sensor gets in contact with water (in the exhaust
 manifold), will it be destryoed, how does it work and so on.

 2. How near the exhaust port can it be placed to be 300-800 DegC hot?
 The exhaust manifold is water cooled and the outside of the cast iron
 thing is not more than you can touch with your hand and not get burned.

 Please let me know if anyone knows or thinks anything

 Thanks

 Nils Björkman
 Sweden