O2 sensor and water

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Mon May 17 05:53:05 GMT 1999

In a message dated 99-05-16 22:55:13 EDT, EFISYSTEMS at aol.com writes:

>It has been my experience that water will kill the heater in a heated
>o2 sensor.....never tried an unheated version......

It will kill a unheated one as well.  Early EFI Chevy Astro vans had a recall
involving replacement of the y pipe. The Astro has its O2 sensor on the top
of the pipe ~ 18" from the engine.  Condensation during a cold start/warmup
would drip down onto the sensor causing the coating to crack.

The replacement pipe had a sheetmetal shield to collect the water.  Some vans
even had one exhaust manifold replaced to accomidate the sensor. ( The old
sensor was left inplace but it's wire was cliped off.

Harold